What is a TGA Professional Member?
Professional Members are recognised by the TGA as professional Tarot readers and teachers who:
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the meanings usually ascribed to each of the 78 cards in the Tarot deck
- Make meaningful connections between cards to build an interpretation based on the symbols and images in the Tarot cards
- Use one or more Tarot spreads to interpret cards in a way that makes sense to the client
- Communicate with clients in a way that produces a positive experience for clients and for themselves as readers
- Respect their clients' values and right to self-determination
- Abide by the TGA's Code of Ethics in their professional practice
In addition to being able to access of the benefits of Interest Members, TGA Professional Members are entitled to a free listing as a Tarot reader and/or teacher on the TGA's website. This list is sent to any member of the public who enquires about Tarot readers and teachers.
Transition to Professional Membership
TGA Interest Members may become Professional Members by completing the Transition Process. The Transition Process aims to ensure that TGA Professional Members meet the criteria outlined above.
As part of the Transition Process, you will need to submit:
- Your Professional Membership Transition application form, along with your application fee of $85
- The Transition Paper, which consists of a series of questions to determine your knowledge of the Tarot. This will be emailed or posted to you upon receipt of your application form and payment
- A log of 20 Tarot readings
- Three face-to-face Tarot readings with two TGA Professional Members. (Where appropriate, readings can also be conducted over the phone.)
You will also be connected with three TGA Professional Members who can provide you with ongoing advice throughout the Transition Process. Once you have submitted your Transition application, paper, readings log and face-to-face readings, the three assigned TGA Professional Members will organise a phone discussion to talk through your submission.
Within 10 days of the phone discussion, you will be notified of the outcome of your application.
Successful applicants receive a certificate that entitles them to advertise their Tarot services as Professional Members of the Tarot Guild of Australia and will be able to use the TGA logo on their marketing materials and website.
Keen to become a TGA Professional Member? Download the Professional Membership Transition application form and post it to Tarot Guild of Australia, GPO Box 3117, Melbourne VIC 3001. The TGA will be in touch with you to provide details your Transition.
Questions? Contact us for more details.
Note: The Transition process can be tailored to accommodate individual circumstances. While most candidates for Professional Membership will complete the process as described above, the Guild recognises that some Tarot practitioners may be able to produce other forms of evidence to demonstrate they fulfill one or more of the criteria. For example, they may have written a book, designed a deck of Tarot cards, or written articles that demonstrate their understanding of the cards and their ability to interpret spreads. Please contact the TGA President if you would like to present specific material in support of your application for Professional Membership.